South Dakota Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) Registry by Interstate Endorsement Application
Instructions for Interstate Endorsement Application
Print this page for reference
Read the following instructions carefully before proceeding with the online application process.
- You are only eligible for endorsement if you are actively listed on another state’s nurse aide registry.
- This process is for individuals who have never been registered as a CNA in the state of South Dakota.
An endorsement application will expire four months following the date it was accepted by the Board pursuant to §44:74:02:03.
There is no processing fee for the South Dakota Registry.
A nurse aide who is certified in another state and wishes to be included on the South Dakota Nurse Aide Registry, please complete the following instructions pursuant to ARSD §44:74:02:23.
- Complete the online application.
- Have the Verification of Registration form completed by the state registry you were first registered as a nurse aide.
- Have the Employment Verification form completed by a current/previous employer.
- You must provide documentation of employment as a nurse aide within the last 24 consecutive months.
Verification of Registration
Verification of registration is required from the state registry you were first registered as a nurse aide.
- Print the Verification of Registration form.
- You will complete section A-1 with your information.
- You will send the verification of registration form to the state registry where you first registered as a nurse aide, so they complete section A-2.
- A List of State CNA Registries.
- Exceptions: If Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New York, or North Carolina is your first state of CNA Registry, please send section A-1 & A-2 directly to the South Dakota Registry.
- Please check with the registry in the state where you were first registered, because they may require a processing fee.
- Once your original state of registration has completed section A-2, they will mail the completed form to the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
Verification of Employment
In order to obtain active registry status on the SD Registry, you must provide documentation of employment as a nurse aide within the last 24 consecutive months (volunteer hours do not qualify towards employment hours).
If there has been a gap of more than two years in your employment as a nurse aide, you must retrain and retest.
- Print the Employment Verification form.
- You will complete section A-3 with your information.
- You will send the employment verification form to a previous or current employer, so they complete section A-4.
- Once the form has been completed, please submit it to the SD Board of Nursing.
- You may also email the document to Ashley.Vis@state.sd.us.
To track the progress of your application, you may check our verification website.
- Check Application Status.
- Please allow 2-3 business days for your application status to reflect on the verification website.
- Those items without dates next to them have not been received in our office yet.